July 30, 2016

FOOD HUNTING PASAR PAGI: KERAK TELOR, MIE CELOR, CENDOL

Hi ladies, and all the folks out there. Have you ever wander other  city just to hunt for certain food? in this past 2 months I have been so busy that I missed PEKAN RAYA JAKARTA, it ended at 17 July 2016. Sadly, I have not be able to fulfill my craving for kerak telor or any traditional Jakarta food. 
When my schedule with my husband were match, I decided to use train and Busway to go to Mangga Dua, because my husband would like to know the recent PS4 price deal :P.

I prefer to hunt food in street food, although I am quite picky, and choose the cleanest street vendor that I could find.

And here I found what I was craving for


Kerak Telor with chicken eggs: IDR 17,000, you can change it with duck eggs but sadly it was sold out. It is a heritage of Jakarta/ Betawi people, made from small amount of ketan (sticky rice), mix with eggs, cooked with heat from charcoal, the finishing touch? sprinkle it with serundeng (shredded coconut), shallots and ebi. My review with this one that I have bought from Pasar Pagi, was disappointing... It is really different with the one that I have tried with my Oma and Opa (grandmother and grandfather) when I was just a little girl.

Mie Celor: IDR 18,000 big yellow noodle with gooey gravy, from coconut milk, boiled with ebi (dried shrimp), or fresh shrimp. Ideally for finishing touch, it was sprinkled with bean sprout, shallots, ebi, shrimp, boiled eggs. It comes from Palembang/ South Sumatra Region, a bit disappointed that this Mie celor was bland, no shrimp or any coconut milk trace from its gravy, not true to the original one that I have tried once in Palembang.

Cendol: IDR 11,000 it said to come from Java Island? in Java you call it Dawet , in Sunda/ west Java, you still call it cendol :-D this one is the best deal from these 3 food. it is sago (rice flour) which is mixed with coconut milk and palm sugar. The sweetness is kinda mellow, aromatic, with gentle smell of coconut milk. I love this traditional beverage.

Hopefully, I can find another great food on my next food trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment